Updating QuickBooks and consequently the company file improves the features and certain bugs and fixes that might have infected the later versions. When QuickBooks is updated and you open the company file of older version, there is provision which automatically updates the company file. But, this is not always possible as you need to understand Company File Compatibility between QuickBooks Versions. With this blog, we will explain company file compatibility between QuickBooks Versions, which will help you avoid issues during QuickBooks company file upgrade.
In case you face trouble while updating QuickBooks company file or moving between versions dial (844)-888-4666
Points to Remember before Converting QuickBooks Company File
- A backup of your old company file must be created before opening it in the new version. Probably the easiest way to do that is to do so in your old version of QuickBooks before you install the new version. Just to make things clear, name the backup file such as Pre-converted
- In case of some data corruption in your file, it may fail the process of being converted to the new version. Data repair may be needed.
- If you are making a jump of many versions (e.g. coming from QuickBooks 2012 to QuickBooks 2019), the chances are greater than the file will have trouble converting. hence, take step little by little and go through intermediary versions
- For large files, be patient with the process. It might seem like QuickBooks is freezing up, but it isn’t.
Compatibility of Company file when Upgrading to another Product
- The QuickBooks Premier Company file can be opened in QuickBooks Pro without modifying the data in the company file. Vice-versa also remains true.
- QuickBooks Pro and Premier Company file can be upgraded to QuickBooks Enterprise solutions without any hassle, but the QuickBooks Enterprise company file cannot be opened in Pro and Premier.
Company File Compatibility between QuickBooks Versions
- Company files of one region such as the US cannot be opened in QuickBooks of a different region. For example, the company file created in a US version won’t be compatible when you move to QuickBooks Canada.
- Once you have upgraded the older version of the company file to the newer ones, the action cannot be reversed. The company file becomes accessible only with the same QuickBooks version. The exception here is QuickBooks Accountant and user working with Accountant’s Copy.
- Generally, QuickBooks prompts if the user wants to upgrade the company file when it is opened in the newer version, but in case this does not happen, the file is to be updated to an intermediate version first.
Effect of Company File when QuickBooks Edition is Changed
A Company File created in one edition (Retail, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Accountant, etc.) can be opened with any other edition without actually affecting the data.
For any issues related to company file compatibility between QuickBooks Versions, you can avail professional help at (844)-888-4666. Intuit authorized professionals will resolve your queries and you can get back on track without any data damage.